SEO is all about ranking Parameters!
Let’s take a look at the Top 10 Quintessential factors you’ll need to know.
In the world of SEO, the times change quickly! Keeping up with the new innovations is no child’s play either, but we will try to keep you informed as much as we can. So, do pay attention, and fasten your seat-belts!
This guide is meant to give you a decent idea about the different parameters of SEO that will make your site do well in search results all the time. More people viewing your website, means more business. And business is exactly what you’ll get.
What are the most significant SEO ranking Parameters you ask?
Well, here they are–
- Secure and easy to access websites generate more traffic!
- Speed of your page!
- Friendliness on Mobile devices!
- The Website name, Reputation and URL
- Optimizing Content!
- Getting the code right! Getting technical regarding SEO!
- The Experience of the user is a key Factor in SEO!
- The quality of Links!
- Social Signals
- Your Business Information
Before going into any further details, let’s take a quick look at how search engines function.
So, how do we Rank higher on Google exactly?
We all know that search engine optimization is the process of optimizing websites to get better ranks on search engines like Google. But how do we do that? Let’s find out!
SEO says that ranking is the position of your website in the SERPs (Search Engine Results Pages). When it shows up in the first place, it means you have got the first rank! Getting one of the first three ranks in promising, because these account for almost half the clicks that result from any search result , statistically. It also helps to appear in the first page because, about 95% of users do not go beyond the first page!
Google says that its job is to-“organize the world’s information and make it universally accessible and useful”.
What it does is this- Search bots, which are automated softwares look at different web pages and catalog the ones which are properly optimized, out of the trillions of web pages in their index. Based on this, the web pages are ranked in the search results page when someone searches for something in Google. And when your content appears in search results, it is up to your page title and Meta descriptions to do the rest of the work, to carry the traffic into your site.
What are keywords?
When people search for something online, they say words that are pertinent to what they are looking for. These are called keywords, and play a vital role in Search Engine rankings.
But apart from keywords, the content has to be high quality too!
Google’s search quality ratings says, it looks for things like-
- The purpose of the page
- Expertise, Authority and the level of trustworthiness
- Content quality and amount of content
- Website information and Information about the creator of the content
- Reputation of the website and the reputation of the content creator
When Google shows search results, they are based on these factors and these determine the relevance of content and the quality therein. The relevant results appear first, and successively the other results follow.
The trick is to let Google know that your content is relevant to the queries searched by the common man. If you can do that, then half the work is done at the very start.
But the sad truth is, there is never an assurance of getting ranked 1 every time and the SEO rules are changing constantly in this world.
Let’s discuss the two types of SEO we deal with.
SEO is basically done in two ways-
On Page SEO
OFF Page SEO
On page SEO is essentially doing all you can on your own webpage to attract traffic. Things like- better code and better content.
And Off Page SEO means to take actions outside your site, to boost and promote your website by building inbound links and taking social media assistance.
You can monitor your search engine results by observing what comes up during the searches of your clients in Google. Just do a quick search on Google incognito mode and see the results. You can in this way, find out where your content is appearing. But even that is not effective enough for established sites with thousands of quality pages. So what do you do?
You use a tool. Use SEMRush. Just type in your website, run the report, and check out the top keywords you are getting ranked for. You could also use their keyword position tracking tool to check the keywords you are trying to use.
Now, what are Google’s ranking factors for 2019?
Here we start-
#1. Secure and easy to access websites generate more traffic!
The website has to have a proper URL! A proper URL is a type of URL that is easy for Google’s bots to reach and understand. This understanding is important because Google needs to find out what the page is really all about.
To do this, you’ll need the following:
- A robots.txt file that helps tell Google where It can find your site’s information and where it can not
- A sitemap that has all your pages listed in order. You can use an online sitemap generator for this purpose.
HTTPS is also a “light weight ranking factor” says John Mueller and that “ having HTTPS is great for users”
Generate Online Sitemap with SmallSEOtools
#2. Speed of your page!
Google wants to give a seamless experience to its users and therefore, page loading time has been an important SEO factor from the very beginning and fast loading web pages will definitely stand out in the future.
Even speed on mobile devices will matter says Google with its now search engine algorithm update that has been in effect since 2018.
#3. Friendliness on Mobile devices!
In today’s date, mobile friendliness of a site is key to understanding better SEO. They have to be mobile friendly as more people worldwide, use mobile devices and not desktops, for accessing the web. And that is one of the major reasons why Google checks for mobile friendliness when it comes to ranking search results!
There is also the mobile-first index of Google, which means that sites optimized for mobile devices are going to automatically rank higher than others in the competition.
What you need to have-
- A responsive site that fits the device by resizing itself.
- Large fonts to ensure greater readability on the small mobile devices.
- The site should be easy to navigate, the menus should be able to tap on easily
- There should not be unnecessary ads, making the original content tough to find
Also Read: Top 10 Digital Marketing Company in India
#4. The Website name, Reputation and URL
The reputation of the website and the authority it has is also a key factor in deciding where it appears on the search results page. A study says that over 60% of the sites that achieve a top ten ranking are at least 3 years old. Ahref’s study that included 2 million pages says that very few pages that are less than a year old, will ever achieve that ranking. So the key is to have a site with a high reputation that is at least a few years old. And of course, to follow the tips listed here in this article!
In certain case, the domain name matters also. Google has already penalized domain names with exact target keywords in the URL itself, but that penalty remains mostly for sites with low content.
But there is also the idea that domains with exact-match, are deemed to be getting higher ranks, if they are relevant and have worthy content. But if you already have a high branded website, there is no need to go for exact matches. You can simply focus on it to reflect your business instead.
Moz has articles on Page authority and domain authority that you can check out to get higher ranks in your search results.
You can find out the authority of a page by using Open Site Explorer. This is an effective tool to gauge your own site’s authority on the web!
#5. Optimizing Content!
We cannot emphasize on this enough as the quality of the content is one of the top deciders of SEO there is. This simply means , that getting a higher rank on search results depends largely on the content of the page. It is as important as links and user experience to decide the outcome in rankings. Now, let’s discuss what you can do to get better optimized content for your business.
You have to keep in mind, Google’s search algorithm, depends mostly on keywords. And therefore one has to optimize the content accordingly. This means that one has to put it appropriate keywords at the right places so that the search algorithm can properly detect the article.
The content should not be a copy of something else and has to be plagiarism free in order for it to be effective.
Tools to Check- Small SEO Tools
Using appropriate LSI keywords for SEO!
Latent semantic Indexing keywords or LSI keywords are also very important. These provide secondary associations to the keywords people are usually searching for. So, one must use these effectively in an article too, in order to help Google find you articles and display them in the search results.
Understanding Intent of Search for Optimization
It’s important to understand the content people are looking for when they type in specific keywords.
Say you know that people are going to search for buying a jug of milk. But you have failed to consider, that sellers of the jug of milk who will be using the same keywords in their search too! So your content will not appear in the top of the search results page.
The keywords people will use, will change, based on the following factors-
- If they are looking for a specific website (navigational)
- Find the answer to a question (informational)
- Research a potential purchase (investigational)
- To buy something (transactional)
Suggested to Read: Top 10 Digital Marketing Company in the World
To make a site well optimized, you’ll have to include content for each of these types–
- Content length is also a factor.
Google wants to display content with at least a little bit of depth.This means a content with at least a little bit of length is never harmful for SEO. Although, keep in mind, unnecessary dragging of the subject matter is never a good idea, but the article itself has to have a little bit of length in order to rank well. According to a study, articles with at least 2000 word length appear freq1uently in Google’s top 10 search results ranking. And more than anything else, a longer content means more links and more shares! It is always wise to go for such articles when writing.
Answer boxes! A thing to note.
Google is in the habit of giving answers to queries using answer boxes. This means that This is another aspect of effective optimization in today’s world.
The usefulness of optimizing for answer boxes is as follows:
- Answering questions, of course
- Including the questions as headings, with properly formatted title tags (more about that in the next tip)
- Ensuring that the answers are correct, relevant, and not too long
- Targeting content to keywords that already have answer boxes
- Including lists or tables
- Videos are being used to improve ranking!
Cisco says that video-based content will have the share of 80% of web-traffic by 2020. It is also clear at this point that-
- People of all ages like to watch videos
- Most people will rather watch a video than read as blog post
- People are taking advantage of videos to help them buy things online!
#6. Getting the code right! Getting technical regarding SEO!
The page has to have the right kind of code in order for it to come up in search rankings. Some of the things you must look at are as follows:
- Using keywords in the titles of the web page is a good idea. Google is known to look for keywords here first and then elsewhere and so having keywords inserted here will increase the likelihood of getting higher ranks in search results!
- Make use of header tags to show them content chronology. That will make your content easier to navigate through and more readable.
- Make sure to create meta descriptions that have your target keyword included! These have to be catchy and effective to draw in people into your website. Make sure these are short in length too. A meta description, should not go beyond 160 characters, generally.
- Using keyword phrases in image alt tag is an effective way to show how the images are related to the overall content. There is also Google’s image search, which will help people find your content better!
- Using schema markup is also very useful in letting Google know what your content is all about. This could help your content in popping up in rich card entries and generate business in the process.
#7. The Experience of the user is a key Factor in SEO!
These days, Google uses AI to rank websites in their index. There is an algorithm called Rank-Brain that helps in this regard. It’s checking for signals that affect your ranks in today’s date.
Some of the signals are::
- Clickthrough rate: The number of people who open up your web page after it has been displayed in results page.
- Bounce rate: The number of people who leave your site because they did not find it useful.
- Dwell time: The time the people are spending on your website has also been understood as a signal.
When people bounce off your website just after opening up your page, Google will find it hard to list it in the search results well again. Instead , if they find that people coming into your website are spending a good amount of time there, they will probably provide you with a higher rank!
#8. The quality of Links!
We have mentioned repeatedly, that links are very important factors for SEO and ranks. We will discuss the different types of links and why they are significant in the following paragraphs!
There are essentially three kinds of links in SEO:
- Inbound Links
- Out bound links
- Internal links
Inbound links are used by Google to find out the pertinence and standard of your content
Its particularly useful when a site of a high authority places the link of your site in their page with relevance to their content.
To be honest, it is of very little use to have inbound links from low standard web pages .You can check your inbound links using SMERush or such others, listed earlier
There should always be a process to show that you’re making content of a high standard and frequently linking up with high quality sites of your field!
In the end, links to your content helps in tying pages together for Google and your potential clients. If you have a page with a high repute, it is useful to link it with other pages to pass on the authority from one page to another.
#9. Social Signals
If you’re content is being shared on social media, that is another sign that its is being liked and a certain way of promotion too! Cognitive SEO did a study of 23 million shares and found a certain link between Search Engine ranks and shares on social media handles.
Google though says that social shares on Facebook or Twitter are not very solid ranking factors as compared to other reputed websites.
Even then it’s understood that highest ranking pages in Google do get shared very often! That is a suggestion that getting more shares does influence your search result rankings, but perhaps only indirectly.
#10. Your Business Information
This tip is particularly effective for businesses that have a local presence or targeting local clients. Therefore one of the most vital local SEO ranking parameters is the inclusion of Business Information in there.
So, important avenues are:
- name, address, and phone number
- Business listings on Google My Business and Facebook
- The right local search terms employed are also an important factor!
Now that you know the tricks of SEO, Please feel free to use them and may this guide be well enough to make a positive change in your own approach to Search Engine Optimization!
How useful was this information?
Click on a star to rate it!